Taonga Tuku Iho: An Illustrated Encyclopedia of Traditional Māori Life - A. W. Reed
This revised edition of the classic A.W. Reed title remains true to the original vision – to create a highly readable and accessible introduction to the traditional life and customs of Māori.
The text is arranged alphabetically and includes:
- Entries covering agriculture, fishing, gardening, hunting, games, building, craft, forest lore and ceremony – all the known elements of pre-European Māori life
- Explanations for myths, legends and stories of the gods
- Colour photographs of preserved Māori artefacts
- Detailed line drawings revealing domestic objects and tools
- Line illustrations depicting typical scenes from Māori life
Buddy Mikaere of Ngāti Pukenga and Ngāti Ranginui descent is a well-respected historian and has published widely in his specialist field of 19th century race relations and on Māori history in general.