BMW Motorcycles 100 Years - Alan Dowds
Celebrate BMW Motorrad's first century with BMW Motorcycles: 100 Years. This comprehensive history is accompanied by historic and contemporary photography from BMW's archive.
BMW's long history of evolving technology comes across in this detailed story beginning with side-valve machines in the 1920s and early overhead-valve performance bikes, then moving to the postwar R-series Airhead and modern Oilhead twins, followed by four-cylinder and six-cylinder K-series touring bikes, the latest parallel twins, and inline-four cylinder sport bikes. From the first R32 that launched BMW's motorcycle dynasty, to the latest S1000RR superbike and R18 mega-cruiser, BMW Motorcycles captures a century of motorcycling excellence in a combination of historic and contemporary photos sourced from BMW's archive.
The stories behind all the classic bikes are here:
- Pre-World War II BMWs like the R5 that defined performance in the prewar era
- The military R12 that carried the Wehrmacht as it battled its way across Europe in World War II
- The 1960s R69S that offered the perfect platform for mounting a Steib sidecar
- The R90S café racer and the R100RS, arguably the world's first dedicated sports tourer
- The K1 “flying brick”
- The GS (Gelände Sport) series that launched the adventure-bike revolution
- Today's R18, R nine T, and the world-class S100RR superbike
This is a once-in-100-years story captured in a beautiful book sure to be enjoyed by any BMW Fan.